April 24, 2019
- For the tacos:
- 1 (20-ounce) can young green jackfruit in water or brine, drained and rinsed, cut into thin long slices (Stella Star Ingredient)
- Cooking oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup store-bought salsa
- 1/4 cup water
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro for garnish
- Queso fresco for garnish (optional)
- Mexican crema for garnish (optional)
- For the salsa:
- 1 cup fresh jackfruit, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Make the taco filling
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add cooking oil and onions. Sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Next, add the jackfruit followed by the chili powder, cumin, lime juice, water and salsa. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Once jackfruit has softened, shred using two forks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Extract the fruit and make the salsa
- Wear gloves to extract the meat from a whole jackfruit. (The inside of a jackfruit is VERY sticky, and it can often be hard to remove the stickiness from hands, even with soap and water.) You will need to cover the blade of a very sharp knife in vegetable oil. This will help prevent knife from sticking to the inside of the fruit. The core runs lengthwise and is the hardest part to cut through. Have patience. This job is better done with two people. Using the sharp oiled knife, carefully cut the fruit in half lengthwise. You will find several yellow/orange pods with seeds inside, surrounded by fibrous threads. We only want the yellow/orange pods. Use your hands to release the pods. Place them in a bowl and place seeds in a separate bowl (discard the seeds' membrane). Dice the fruit into small pieces for the salsa.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all salsa ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- (Tip: Since you will have extra fruit, use as a snack. Boil the seeds for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the outer seed shell and enjoy!)
- Make the tacos
- Heat tortillas on an open flame until slightly charred. Add jackfruit meat and top with fresh jackfruit salsa. Top with avocado, queso fresco, Mexican crema and cilantro!