June 18, 2019
The Easiest Spicy Coconut Mussels
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoon chopped Thai chili
- 2 pounds mussels
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Handful basil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Black pepper to taste
- Crusty bread
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add coconut oil. When oil is hot, add shallot and fry them until lightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove fried shallot from skillet and place on a paper towel lined dish and set aside.
- In same skillet with shallot infused coconut oil; add garlic, lemon and chili. Sauté until they soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add mussels, water, rice wine and fish sauce. Increase heat to high heat and stir to combine everything. Cover and cook until muscles are fully cooked, about 6 to 8 minutes. Discarded un-opened mussels.
- Reduce heat to medium; sprinkle basil and pour coconut milk cook additional 1 minute. Add black pepper to taste, and remove from heat. serve with lime and toasted crusty bread. Enjoy!