Don't worry, you don't need to pronounce it in order to enjoy it.
- 16 ounces dry black-eyed peas
- 2 onions, chopped, divided
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 pound shrimp, plus more for serving
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 ounces roasted peanuts
- 2 1/2 ounces cashews
- 1 cup manioc flour, toasted
- Grated ginger, to taste
- 3 cups dendê oil (palm oil), plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 onion with peel
- Salsa, to serve
- In a food processor, add the peas and process until coarse. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cold water. The skins will float to the top; scoop them out and discard. Allow peas to soak for 8 hours. Drain the water.
- In the food processor, add the soaked peas and half the chopped onion. Blend until it turns into a paste.