Baked Creme Anglaise French Toast
For a French toast that goes above and beyond, try it with crème anglaise.
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk, preferably organic
- 2 cups heavy cream, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped out
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 to 2 braided challah loaves, preferably 2 to 3 days old
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for greasing pan
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Maple syrup, for drizzling
- In a medium-sized saucepot, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla beans and scraped seeds as well as the vanilla extract. Whisk together and bring to a low simmer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yolks and sugar, and whisk together. Add the salt and brandy, and whisk until all combined.