This Filipino braised beef stew is always paired with garlic rice and beef broth, making for the ultimate comforting meal!
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 (1 inch) pc ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 kg beef brisket, cut into chunks
- 6 pcs star anise
- Water, enough to cover the meat by an inch
- 2 pcs cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tbsp water
- Spring onions
- Fried garlic
- In a large pot with hot oil, sauté ginger and garlic for 1 minute until fragrant. Add beef and brown sides for a bit followed by sugar, soy sauce, star anise, water, and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Feel free to adjust the water if it evaporates before meat is tender.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture while continuously stirring and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Garnish with spring onions and fried garlic. Serve with garlic rice.