Brown Rice Bowl with Turkey, Cucumbers and Mint
Turkey, cucumbers and mint make for one refreshing bowl.
- 1 1/2 cups germinated brown rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Salt for seasoning
- Vegetable oil for drizzling
- 2 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey, preferably organic
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced on a bias
- 1 red chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, 1/4 inch dice
- 1 cup bean sprouts, for garnish
- Toasted seaweed
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Season with salt. Add the rice and reduce to a simmer. Cook, covered, for 25 minutes, then remove the lid and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Make sure all of the water is absorbed.
- While the rice cooks, heat a medium-sized skillet. Drizzle in a little vegetable oil and add the shallots. Cook until softened. Next, add the ground turkey and break into small pieces. Cook until browned.