Cheesy Sausage and Kale Bake
We're giving this cheesy sausage gratin some kale to make it a bit guiltless. But only a little.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, sage), chopped
- 2 bunches kale, roughly chopped with steps removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for topping
- 3/4 cup grated Jarlsberg, plus extra for topping
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup panko
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown sausage in a pan, then add shallots and herbs, cooking until translucent. Add kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, and set aside.