Cherry Pie Cake
Red velvet cake with cherry cake pops covered in strawberry jam to make them glossy and then frosted with buttercream frosting for the pastry!
- 430g (2.5 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 265g (1 ¼ cups) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 125g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 375ml (1 ½ cups) full-cream (whole) milk
- 125ml (½ cup) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt (or sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 8 drops red food gel
- 250g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (2 cups) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2–4 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 4 drops brown food gel
- 2 drops orange food gel
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 140C (280F) or 160C (320F) for a conventional oven. Spray an 8” cake tin with oil spray and line the bottom with baking paper. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix together using a hand mixer until well combined.