Chicken Pot Minus the Pie
Megan is making a classic American dish, chicken pot pie — minus the pie, but on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes.
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 ½ pounds chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock, preferably low sodium
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/8 cup cold water
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas
- In a large Dutch oven, on medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, rosemary and thyme. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, making sure to scrape off any brown bits from the bottom that may have formed. Add the chicken thighs, bay leaves and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lastly add the chicken stock, cover and cook on low for 1-1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.