Creamy Tomato Soup with Mozza-ball Skewers
Happiness is deep-fried balls of cheese, floating in a bowl of warm creamy soup. Mmmm.
- 2 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 2 whole bulbs of garlic, tops sliced off
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 large sprigs of thyme, leaves picked off
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pesto, to serve
Fried mozzarella balls
- 12 mini mozza-balls
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large roasting pan, add the tomatoes, garlic bulbs and red onion. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle over the thyme leaves and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.