Filipino Arroz Caldo
One bowl of this hearty Filipino rice and chicken soup feels like a hug from the inside.
- 4 chicken pieces (legs and thighs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 head of garlic, minced
- 2 scallion stalks, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked rice (glutinous is best)
- 5-6 cups water
- 4 eggs, soft boiled
- Fish sauce to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Fresh cilantro to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A drizzle of oil
- Heat a generous drizzle of oil in a large pot. Saute onion, half of the garlic, and some scallions until fragrant and translucent. Add chicken to brown for a few minutes, and then remove from the pot and set aside. Add uncooked rice and toss well. Toast for a few minutes.
- Pour water and add the chicken back into the pot, along with ginger slices. Cover slightly and boil for 1 hour. Occasionally scrape the bottom of the pot to prevent the rice from sticking.