Flower Hot Dog Buns
These Chinese bakery-style flower hot dog buns are soft, chewy, and incredibly savory.
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 egg, plus more for egg wash
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 6 hot dogs
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, combine warm water (110°F), yeast, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Stir well and set aside. In a larger bowl, whisk bread flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and salt. Once the yeast mixture appears very foamy, gradually pour it over the dry ingredients while occasionally stirring. Add the egg and cooled melted butter. Stir well and then scrape in the sides with a spatula, until a mass of dough forms.
- Switch to floured hands and a bench scraper, and turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough, until a smooth springy ball forms. Use the bench scraper to assist, if the dough sticks onto the surface.