How to make the perfect macarons, according to science.
- 3 egg whites, or 100 gram egg whites, aged and room temperature
- 1/4 cup, or 55 grams, caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups, or 260 grams, powdered sugar
- 1 cup, or 115 grams, fine almond flour
- Gel food coloring
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, or 100 grams, powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A day prior to making the macarons, crack the eggs into a bowl, separate the whites and cover with plastic film poked with small holes.
- Refrigerate overnight but make sure to bring back to room temperature before using.