French Onion Soup
Here's how to make French onion soup from scratch!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 pieces of star anise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup red wine (medium-full bodied)
- 900 milliliters beef stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Baguette, sliced into 4 one inch-thick slices
- 300 grams gruyere cheese, grated
- Set a large pot to medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil and heat until the butter has melted. Add the onions and star anise and cook until the onions have softened.
- Add the red wine vinegar and stir to combine. Add half of the red wine and cook until evaporated. Remove the star anise. Add the beef stock and remaining red wine. Bring the heat to high and once boiling, reduce to low heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.