Grapefruit Meringue Pie
Grapefruit meringue pies deserve some respect.
- Pre-made crust
- 10 eggs yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 1/2 grape fruits (4 tablespoons roughly)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup strained lemon juice
- 1/3 cup strained grapefruit juice
- 200 grams unsalted butter chilled and cut into small squares
- *optional red food coloring (6 drops)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Place egg yolks, sugar and zest in a saucepan and whisk until well combined.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/2 cup water in a small bowl and then add to saucepan along with the lemon and grapefruit juice.