Haejangguk, Korean Hangover Soup
After a long night out, nothing helps get rid of a hangover like a warm, delicious, rehydrating soup.
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons doenjang (Korean bean paste)
- 1/3 cup gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 cups water
- 1 (5x5-inch) piece dried kombu, wiped
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 green onions, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 15 green outer napa cabbage leaves
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 ounces mu (Korean radish)
- 3 to 4 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 handfuls of soybean sprouts
- In a small bowl, add the garlic, doenjang, gochugaru, sesame oil, fish sauce, mirin and black pepper.
- Mix well with a spoon.