Honey Bee Cookies
Honey sugar cookies with pastry cream and bee royal icing decorations
Honey Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Royal Icing Bumblebees
- 33g egg whites (pasteurized) (1 egg white)
- 1 cup sifted icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or flavouring of your choice
- 2 drops yellow food gel
- 2 drops black food gel
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- Pinch salt
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Pipe a ring of pastry cream around each cookie, then use a piping bag fitted with a small star tip and filled with whipped cream to pipe on the inside of that.
- Finish by adding bumblebees right before serving. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Add the sugar, honey and butter into a large mixing bowl. Mix using a hand mixer for 2 minutes until it lightens in colour and becomes smooth. Scrape down the bowl using a spatula.
- Add the eggs and mix until well combined. Scrape down and add the flour and baking powder. Use a spatula to mix in until well combined.