Bring a little island flair to your life with this cheery hummingbird cake with baked pineapple flowers!
- 1 large pineapple, peeled and divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups (approximately 3 medium) ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
- 3 cups cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, and spray the back of a muffin tin with baking spray.
- Cut the pineapple in half widthwise and reserve half for the cake. Remove the “eyes” from the remaining half with a melon baller and then cut extremely thin slices widthwise off the pineapple, approximately 8 to 10 slices.