Lemon & Almond Cake
Lemon zest and almond sponge cake with lemon cream cheese frosting, toasted almond flakes and candied lemons on top.
- 275g (91/2oz) unsalted butter
- 275g (91/2oz) golden caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 275g (91/2oz) self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 50g (2oz) ground almonds
- finely grated zest 2 lemons
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 125g (41/2oz) softened unsalted butter
- 350g (12oz) Philadelphia full-fat cream cheese
- 250g (9oz) icing sugar, sifted
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Toasted almonds
- 175g (6oz) almonds, toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 lemons sliced to 1/8-inch thickness
- Preheat your oven to 180C (350F). Line two 8” cake tins with baking paper. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to whip until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one and continue mixing until all the eggs are in the bowl. Scrape down the bowl using a spatula and add the flour, baking powder, vanilla and ground almonds. Fold in using the spatula.