Mac and Cheese Lava Cake
Indulge in these creamy bite-size Mac and cheese cakes for any occasion. This tasty recipe revisits the family-favourite classic and it really won't disappoint you.
- 250g very small macaroni
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml whole milk
- 50g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 200g grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices Provolone, to sandwich
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain the macaroni in a colander and set aside.
- Add butter and flour to a large casserole to form a roux then steadily add the milk, stirring well after each addition until you have a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly then add the cheddar, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Stir to combine and then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the macaroni to the sauce and stir to coat all the pasta in the sauce then remove the casserole from the heat and pour the macaroni into a large baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper. Use a spatula to flatten the top and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.