Next time you're craving Thai takeout, whip up your own homemade pad Thai with all the fixings.
- 4 ounces dried rice noodles
- 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 pounds tofu, sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamarind juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed peanuts
- Chinese chives or scallions, to taste
- Bean sprouts, to taste
- Dried chili, to taste
- Lime wedges to serve
- Oil for pan
- In a bowl, soak noodles in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, tamarind juice, sugar, and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Saute shallots until translucent. Add tofu to brown slightly, followed by shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes, and then add the soaked noodles. Pour the sauce over the noodles and mix well. Make space in the pan to scramble the egg. Mix with the noodles, along with chives and peanuts.