Pan Con Tomate with Crispy Chorizo and Shaved Basque Cheese
Chef Jamie Lauren brings a taste of tapas to life with a Spanish Tortilla, Crispy Squid Montadito, a Pan Con Tomate Crostini with Chorizo and Basque Cheese, a Cucumber & Tomato Salad, and a Peach Rose Sangria. Barcelona here we come!
- 2 links Chorizo de Bilbao, sliced into ¼” slices
- 2 Yellow onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Thyme, chopped
- 1 pound Ossau Iraty Cheese (can substitute with any semi-soft sheep's milk cheese)
- 6 cloves Garlic, whole, peeled
- 1 cup Green olives, pitted, halved
- ½ cup Sherry wine, dry
- ½ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Grapeseed oil (plus more for finishing, to taste)
- Kosher salt/pepper to taste
- Flat Leaf Parsley for garnish
- 6 Tomatoes, beefsteak or similar, ripe
- 6-8 Garlic, whole cloves (large), peeled
- 1 loaf Rustic bread loaf
- Maldon salt
- Heat grapeseed oil in a 10” skillet until smoking. Add onions and caramelize over medium to high heat for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Once the onions are soft, deglaze with sherry, add thyme and season with salt. Set aside to cool.
- In another skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium heat and cook the chorizo until crispy on both sides, this should take about 3-4 minutes. Set aside on a small paper towel lined sheet tray.