Sea Salt with Caramel Ribbons Ice Cream
If you’re an ice cream connoisseur, look no further! Co-founder and head ice cream maker, Tyler Malek, from the cult-favorite ice cream shop, Salt & Straw Ice Cream, shares his tips on making their iconic sea salt with caramel ribbon ice cream right at home.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into several pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Ice Cream Base
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fleur de sel
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan, and stir until all of the sugar looks wet. Cover, set the pan over medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has completely melted, about 3 minutes.
- Continue to cook, covered, without stirring, until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking without stirring, but paying close attention, until the mixture turns the color of dark maple syrup, about 5 minutes more.