Shrimp cakes are the new crab cakes.
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 4 green onions, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 12 ounces raw peeled and de-veined shrimp, chopped by hand
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, for a shallow fry
- 1 large avocado
- 1 lime
- Micro cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Bring a medium-sized skillet up to heat over medium-high heat. Drizzle in a little EVOO and add the green onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-4 minutes until they begin to soften. Turn off the heat and add the chili flakes. Let cool slightly.
- In a small food processor, blend the onion mixture with the egg to form a paste. Add the paste to the chopped shrimp. Mix to combine. Add in the salt, pepper and flour. Stir until everything is incorporated.