Megan takes you to one of her favorite spots to give her take on the classic American cheeseburger — with a few artisan twists.
Quick Pickle Red Onion Ingredients:
1 large red onion, sliced in 1/4' rounds
1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 1/2 grapefruit
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon of allspice berries
1 bay leaf
Potato & Root Chip Melange Ingredients:
1 1/2 3 pounds assorted color potatoes, beets, & sweet potatoes
Garnish with: coarse salt & pepper & fennel fronds
Grilled Fennel Ingredients:
2 fennel bulbs oilive oil
salt & pepper
1 pound ground chuck 1 pound ground sirloin salt & pepper olive oil
Mt. Tam cheese (Cowgirl Creamery) or similar softbrie cheese ciabatta rolls or Hamburger buns
Spicy brown mustard
Quick Pickle Process
1. Into a jar or container that has a tight sealing lid, combine all the ingredients and seal. 2. Let the onions rest in the pickling liquid for at least 10 minutes prior to eating.
3. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
Root Chip Melange Process
1. Fill pot 1 to 3 inches of oil to deepfry.
2. Using a mandoline, slice all potatoes & beets.
3. When the thermometer reads 350*, fry the veg chips in batches, stirring frequently with a spider or slotted metal spoon to cook them evenly, until they are crisp and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Transfer the chips to a baking sheet lined with paper towels, and sprinkle them with coarse salt, pepper & fresh herbs to taste.
Grilled Fennel Process
1. cut the fennel fronds off of fennel bulbs, discard
2. slice the fennel bulb horizontally equally into 1/3's, as best to remain root intact.
3. drizzle with olive oil and season w/salt & pepper
4. place on the grill over direct heat and cook each side for 710 minutes; alternatively, place on indirect heat and cook for 1012 minutes each side with the grill cover on.
1. mix ground chuck & sirloin
2. careful not to over mix, loosely form patties into desired thickness.
3. rub olive oil in the palms of your hands and lightly coat the burgers as you put them on the grill. 4. heavily season top side w/salt & pepper
5. flipping half way through*, season other side w/salt & pepper.
*for 1' thick burgers; cook 3 minutes per side for rare, 4 for mediumrare, 5 for medium, and 6
Get The Tastemade App!
Watch new episodes and full seasons of the best shows, recipes, and classes on all your devices.