- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 18 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 2 pounds cherries, pitted
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, place flour, sugar, and salt, then pulse to combine.
- Add butter to the food processor, and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in up to 6 tablespoons of ice water, until the mixture comes together and begins to form a ball. Knead the dough a few times by hand if necessary.
- Next, divide it in half, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out crusts.
- Roll out 1 ball of dough, and place into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Crimp edges as desired.
- Place in the freezer to set for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the second ball of dough and use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes.
- Freeze these shapes before assembling on pie.
- Mix the cherries, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla and almond extracts together.
- Pour the cherry filling into the frozen bottom crust. Assemble the top crust and place on top. Place the whole pie in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the egg with a bit of water and brush the hardened pie crust with egg wash.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes, until filling is bubbling all through the pie. Allow to fully cool before cutting, at least 3 hours.