- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1 gallon Water
- 1/4 cup Sea Salt
- 2tbs Sugar
- 1 Whole Garlic
- 6oz. Ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 Pandan Leaves
- 2 cups Quality Jasmine rice
- 2 Tbsp of Rendered Chicken Fat
- 1/2 cup Shallots
- 1/4 cup Garlic
- 8 oz. Ginger
- 1 oz. Galangal
- 3 Pandan Leaves
- 4 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 4 cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 cups of Chinese winter squash
- 4 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp of Ground White Pepper
- 1 tbsp diced Cilantro
- 1 tbsp diced Green Onions
- Clean and trim excess chicken skin of the chicken.
- In a small pan cook chicken skin in medium heat until the fat completely renders out and skin is crispy. Save the fat part.
- In a large pot add water, salt, sugar, garlic, ginger, pandan leaves and bring it to boil. Then add chicken.
- Bring it to boil again and simmer for 35 mins.
- Remove chicken from liquid and rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Dice shallots.
- Mince garlic.
- Slice ginger.
- Slice galangal.
- In a separate non-stick pot over medium high heat, add chicken fat, garlic, shallots, ginger, galangal and pandan leaves. Stir every 20 seconds, until aromatics and herbs are golden brown.
- Add jasmine rice and stir until every grain is coated in chicken fat. Toast rice on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Raise burner to high heat then add chicken stock (the stock has to be boiling hot when you add).
- Stir rice constantly until it comes to boil then reduce to medium-low heat.
- Cover with lid, and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until rice has cooked through.
- Peel and cut Chinese Winter Squash.
- In a separate small pot, add chicken stock and Chinese winter squash. Bring it to boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add soy sauce to taste and some ground white pepper.
- Place rice onto a plate.
- Cut chicken and place it on top of the rice.
- Top with soup.
- Add cilantro.
- Add green onions.