Maple-Glazed Heirloom Carrots, Chevre, Truffle-Salted Pistachios
Behind The Dish - "Portland"
- 1 pound Peeled Baby Heirloom Carrots
- ¼ pound Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Water
- ½ Cup B Grade Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground White Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3 ounces Chèvre (Fresh Goat Cheese)
- ¼ Cup Truffle-Salted Pistachios
- 20 Each Tarragon Leaves
- To Taste Flaked Sea Salt
- ½ cup raw pistachios, out of the shell
- 1 ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp truffle salt (the good stuff)
- Over medium heat, warm a large pot or pan.
- Melt the butter with the water and the maple syrup in the pan.
- When this mixture starts to boil, add the carrots, salt and white pepper. Mix with a spoon or rubber spatula. Cover with a lid and lower the heat.
- Steam the carrots for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the lid. There should be an excess amount of liquid in the pan.
- Turn the heat up and reduce the liquid, while stirring, until the carrot liquid becomes thick and glazes the carrots.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the pistachios in a baking dish and bake until toasted.
- After six minutes, check every minute until they are fragrant and just toasted.
- Remove from the oven and immediately transfer them into a bowl.
- Add the olive oil and the truffle salt.
- Toss well to combine, then immediately place the nuts onto a flat surface to cool.