- 40g pine needles
- 5g fine salt
- 400g instant polenta
- 150g tapioca starch
- 50g rice flour
- 6 free-range chicken thighs
- 300g buttermilk
- Fine salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 litres sunflower oil
- Flour mixture
- Pine salt
- Grind the pine needles in a spice grinder.
- When reduced to small fibres, add 5g salt.
- Pulse to combine.
- Empty into a bowl
- Mix the polenta, tapioca starch and rice flour in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Set aside.
- Remove the skin and debone the thighs, removing any gristle.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces, about 8 to 10 per thigh.
- Weigh the chicken – for every 100g of chicken, weigh 50g of buttermilk and 1g of salt into a bowl.
- Add garlic, whisk to combine then put chicken into marinade.
- Leave for 24 hours in the fridge.
- Bring to room temperature for 1 hour before frying.
- Heat oil to 170C, dredge chicken in the flour mix, shake off excess then fry, 10 at a time, for 2 minutes.
- Drain on kitchen paper and season liberally with the pine salt, shaking so it sticks to the chicken.
- Serve in a bowl on a branch of pine needles.