Hong Kong Lobster
Behind The Dish - "Los Angeles - Classic"
- Scallops, dried
- Shrimp, dried
- Chinese Cured Ham, ¼” dice
- Japanese Dried Chiles
- Chicken bouillon powder
- Lemongrass, minced
- Sesame Oil
- Peanut Oil
- Garlic, minced
- Shallots, minced
- White granulated sugar
- Chinese sweet soy sauce
- Ginger, minced
- White Pepper
- Chile Oil
Stir Fried Vegetables
- Peanut Oil
- Yu Choy ( Cut into 1/3rd)
- Pea Tendrils (Cut into 1/3rd)
- Shao Xing Wine
- Salt + White Pepper
- ½ Lobster
- Lobster Shell Head
- Lobster Tail ½
- Lobster Sauce
- Stir Fried Lobster Veg
- X.O. Butter
- Chili Oil
- Light Soy
- Black Vinegar
- Curled Scallions
- Picked Cilantro
- Pea Tendrils
- Steam dried scallops and dried shrimp for 20 minutes until soft and scallops break apart easily.
- Combine scallops, shrimp and cured ham in a robot coupe and blend until nicely shredded.
- Add dried chiles, chicken bouillon powder, lemongrass, sesame oil and 200 grams of peanut oil to the robot coupe.
- Blend to combine.
- In a wok, add remaining peanut oil along with contents in robot coupe and heat on low.
- Add in garlic, shallows, ginger, white sugar and sweet soy.
- Allow contents to slowly caramelize.
- Remove ingredients from wok.
- Chill over an ice bath or lay out on a sheet tray & let cool in the walk in.
- Once the sauce is cooled, mix with butter to make the X.O. butter.
- Place lobsters in plastic lexan and “relax” them with liquid nitro.
- Lay them flat on perforated pans and steam for five minutes.
- Remove lobsters from the steam.
- While hot, fabricate the lobsters, removing knuckles, claws, tail, and head sections.
- Split tails in half using a knife and remove the meat.
- Reserve tail shells, and clean for presentation.
- Remove the large head section from the small lobster legs, clean and reserve head for presentation, clean lobster legs, by cutting into 1/4ths and reserve for sauce.
- Remove the meat from the claws and knuckles using a knife and shears respectively.
- Scrape off albumen with a knife and reserve lobster.
- Seal 1 knuckle and one claw in one bag at setting 2 with 10g of X.O. Butter
- Seal ½ a tail in one bag at setting two with 10g of X.O. Butter.
Stir Fried Vegetables
- Heat Peanut Oil in Wok on high until almost smoking.
- Sauté garlic and ginger until aromatic and slightly cooked through.
- Add Yu Choy and Pea Tendrils and toss.
- Add shao xing wine, stir.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Drop Lobster(s) in water bath set at 56C for 10 minutes
- Fry Lobster shells to brighten color
- Reduce sauce and mount with butter, season to taste with salt.
- Remove lobster from bag and remove excess moisture with c-fold
- Warm plate in salamander or oven.
- Heat up 2oz of Lobster sauce in saute pan and slightly reduce.
- Mount with butter, and season with chili oil, light soy, and black vinegar.
- Place the stir fried veg in a small mound at the center of the hot plate, yet leaning more towards12 o'clock.
- Arrange the fried lobster head on the mound of veg so it stands straight up.
- Take the lobster tail meat and slice into 4 equal size pieces.
- Place those pieces back into the tail shell.
- Arrange the tail meat (which is inside the tail shell) in front of the fried shell head to keep it upright, place the lobster knuckle meat to the left of the pile of veg and claw to right.
- Take remaining melted X.O. butter and cover all pieces of lobster meat.
- Spoon heated and seasoned sauce on top of all the lobster meat.
- Scatter pea tendrils, scallions, and cilantro around the plate.
- Serve immediately.