Baked Oyster with Marmite
Behind The Dish - "Montreal"
- 9oz white button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- white pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced green onions
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp Marmite
- 2 tbsp reserved oyster liquor
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- 6 extra-large Beach Angel oysters
- ½ cup water
- 2 pieces bull kelp
- Marmite Mayonnaise
- Oysters, sliced and cooked
- In a food processor, add the mushrooms and pulse them until they have the texture of coarse bread crumbs.
- Heat the olive oil and the butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and the thyme to the pan.
- Stir frequently until they are softened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Cook the mixture until the wine have completely evaporated and the Duxelles holds its shape when stirred.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Slice green onions thinly.
- Carefully fold in the green onions.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, Kosher salt and black pepper into a food processor.
- Turn the machine on to mix everything together.
- With the machine running on full speed, slowly drizzle the oil to form the emulsification.
- Reserve mayonnaise.
- Shuck an oyster.
- Strain liquor through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
- To the bowl add mayonnaise, Marmite, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and kosher salt.
- Whisk everything together until smooth.
- Under cold running water, thoroughly scrub the oysters to remove any algae and debris.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, add the water and bull kelp.
- Bring water to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add oysters, curved side down, and cover with the lid.
- Remove the oysters from the pot and immediately shuck them and remove the meat to stop the cooking.
- Reserve the bottom shells for serving.
- Allow the oysters to cool to room temperature.
- Then carefully slice each one into three even pieces.
- Make six little nests for oysters by bunching up foil.
- On a baking sheet, rest a reserved oyster shell on each nest.
- Place 1 tbsp of the mushroom Duxelles in each shell.
- Spread it out from the lip to the hinge of the shell.
- Place 1 sliced oyster on top of the duxelles in each shell.
- Spoon some of the Marmite Mayonnaise over top, spreading it out unitl it is flush with the edges of the shell.
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Remove from the oven and heat the broiler to high.
- Broil the oyster in the middle rack to glaze the tops.
- Rest before serving.