Chef Guy Turland takes us to a secluded beach to whip up a giant pulled chicken rillette sandwich.
- Welcome back to Day Tripper. We're doing The Split to Manly walk. So we're here at this inlet, its called The Split, and we're going to walk all the way to Manly. So its a 10K walk all up. And you go through Middle Harbour, and some really awesome views. But, what we're gonna do, is we're gonna stop half way. We're gonna make ourselves a wicked pulled chicken sandwich, it's a meter along. Enough for Mark and I. And it's gonna be sick, the sun's out. I've got a few buddies, take a photo, and let's start walkin'. 10K one way, Split to Manly. On the water the whole way. Some gorgeous houses, some beautiful nature. You know what's so awesome about this walk is that, you know you walk from The Split to the harbor all the way into this wicked dense bush land, and then secluded beaches. Ha ha ha. How epic is this view? So we just walked up from the path. I had to show you this. Tankers coming in, you got waves breaking over there. Definitely photo-worthy. Unreal view. Look how gorgeous clear the water is. You know it's so cool, all these hidden treasures. So you can walk off the track and come up here in the bush and then find secluded beaches like this. I mean, check that out. That's unbelievable. Perfect spot for pulled chicken sandwich. How beautiful is this? Have a look around. Check this out. Ha ha.
- [Voiceover] Anyone here?
- Not a soul. What's so good about this walk and so cool about Sydney is all these hidden little beaches. All these little secret cool spots. Guaranteed to find one to your self eventually. Well, almost. Almost to myself. I think we setup right here. Just add that little bit of wind.
- [Voiceover] Here?
- Pretty stunning.
- So, we've got ourselves a nice long piece of Turkish bread.
- [Voiceover] But it's not a meter.
- I know, we've been saying a meter, but I exaggerate a little bit.
- Obviously your first step is to half our sandwich. So we're just gonna slice in half all the way through. So first step is we're going to add our prosciutto. Now this prosciutto is gonna give it an really nice, sort of gorgeous salty flavor. Okay, so our hero is going to be our poached chicken. Well I'm gonna call it a rillette. So it's poached chicken. So what we've done is we've got a pot, I've got a liter of chicken stock and the we'll infuse that chicken stock with a whole heap of flavors. So fennel seed. We've got chili. We've got some thyme, some cardamom pod. Some garlic, and the idea is all those flavors when you poach that chuck all that flavor goes into the chicken so it's like moist and full of flavor and beautiful. And then what we've done is, to that poaching liquid you add your chicken. Put on like a low to medium heat. And it slowly comes up. And it slowly cooks that chicken so it's still tender and beautiful. That took about five, ten minutes, not long at all. Once that's cooked you take it off the stove, and we start to flake that chicken up. And we're gonna make an aioli and add the aioli to that chicken. That's pretty simple, what we've done is we've got a tablespoon of dijon mustard. We want two cloves of garlic, just grated in there. Two tablespoons white wine vinegar. To that you add one egg and two egg yolks. And then you slowly add your oil as you're whisking. Add a little bit, mix it up, add a little bit until it becomes really thick gorgeous glossy base. While the chicken's still warm is the secret. You need the warm chicken. You mix that in with your sort of flavor filled garlicy aioli, it's so tasty. And it's a wicked way to make something special. Chuck it in a bag and take it on a day trip like this. There's so much flavor in that chicken, it gonna be unbelievable. It's gonna blow your mind. Try not to make a mess. Mmm, it's so good, I'm so hungry right now. Alright so, next up he's gonna add some tomatoes, and some beautifully ripe avocados. He's gonna slice these up and lay'em down. Instead of adding lettuce, we're gonna add a heap of herbs. Heaps of parsley and coriander. There's nothing wrong with eating parsley stalks. There's nothing wrong at all. So we're literally just gonna twist it off. And this is gonna be our salad.
- [Voiceover]The wind's come up.
- Same thing with the coriander. Add it all the way down here. And to give it like just another little texture, another little layer, I suppose. I'm gonna add some of these awesome walnuts. The wind is killing me. And you think that would be it, but no. We've got some buffalo mozzarella. Dead set, one of my most favorite cheeses ever. So just lay all that beautiful buffalo mozzarella out. This will be one of the most tastiest sandwiches you'll ever eat in your life, I tell you right now.
- [Voiceover] On the board maybe?
- Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo, oh my god that looks good. Hell yeah, Batman.
- [Voiceover] Just cut it in half over the board.
- Alright guys, look, this is our last day tripper. I just want to say thank you so much for watching. Thanks for all the comments. And thanks for getting involved with us. We've had such a wicked time doing it. I've had so much fun showing you around Sydney. I mean, such a beautiful spot. And you have to make sure you come and visit. Who knows? You may get a chance to do some more day trips. Thanks for getting involved, and thanks for all your comments. We really appreciate it. We're gonna continue on to Manly and we'll see you for our next Day Trip.
To save this video and more, Download the Tastemade App