- 1 pound quinoa penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 to 10 medium cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 5 ounces kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic pumpkin puree
- 1 (15-ounce) container full-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until almost tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms and kale, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until slightly cooked down.
- Add the chicken broth and cook until reduced, about 10 minutes, then remove from heat. Add the pumpkin puree, cottage cheese, tomato sauce and pasta to the kale mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Top with mozzarella and place into the oven. Alternately, you could transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.