- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, cubed
- Add the quinoa to a fine mesh sieve and rinse under cold water.
- Chop the onion and the garlic. Slice green onions and reserve for garnish.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then stir in the aji paste and cumin. Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa and stir in the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally for 35 minutes.
- Once stew-like and thick, stir in the milk and cheese, and heat until cheese begins to melt.
- Sprinkle with green onions before serving.