- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup piloncillo, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup salted butter/cubed
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 10 canned pineapple rings
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and minced
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground star anise
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter, room temp
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Pineapple flowers, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Cherries, for garnish
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Spray a 9x13 glass, oven-safe pan with non-stick baking spray and line with parchment.
- In a medium saucepan add heavy cream, piloncillo pieces, butter and the zest of the orange and lemon. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Let the sauce cool, then place a layer of pineapple rounds and maraschino cherries.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the flour, salt, cinnamon, star anise, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla bean, and buttermilk. Add the egg and buttermilk mixture to the butter and sugar and mix until incorporated. Then add the dry ingredients.
- Pour the cake batter into your 9x13 pan, covering the pineapples, cherries and piloncillo sauce. Lightly tap the cake pan on the counter and place in the oven for 25-26 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool, then flip it upside down to remove it from the pan. Cut into squares and garnish as desired.