For the pasta
- 500g (1lb 3oz) bucatini, linguine, spaghetti or other long pasta shape
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 200g (7 oz) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 100g (3½ oz) Pecorino cheese, finely grated
- 8 slices Parma ham
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
For the salad
- To make the salad, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.
- Toss the leaves with a little of the dressing and serve.
For the pasta
- To make the pasta, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season with salt and add the pasta. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When pasta is cooked, drain, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Over a medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the pepper and cook for a minute, swirling the pan.
- Add half of the reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the drained pasta and the remaining butter.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the grated Parmesan.
- Stir and toss the cheese with the pasta using tongs.
- When the cheese has melted, add the grated Pecorino, stirring and tossing again until the cheese melts.
- The pasta will now be coated with the sauce.
- Cut the Parma ham into slices, crisp them in a hot pan with the oil and add to the sauce.
- Serve with an extra grating of cheese.