- 1 indigo dye bath kit
- 100% cotton fabric of choice, pre washed and dried
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- Twine or cotton cord
- Pvc pipe
- Rubber bands
- Clothes pins
- Wood blocks in various shapes
- Woodworking clamps
- Drop cloth
- Mix dye bath according to kit directions, allow to sit for one hour before dipping. Remove bloom if necessary. While dye bath is resting wrap your fabric.
- Wrapping Method Options: PVC and twine, folding and two woodblocks, wrapping dried beans inside fabric, folding and clamping with clothespins, random binding with rubber bands.
- Dip the bound fabrics into clean water, wring them out then gently submerge in the dye bath. You want to make sure that the dye doesn’t oxidize in the bath so be gentle when submerging the dyed fabric. Leave in the bath for a few minutes then set aside to oxidize.
- Dip the fabric bundle multiple times to deepen the indigo tone, waiting 5 minutes between dips for best outcome. Allow the pieces to set for about an hour before unwrapping.
- Rinse the dipped pieces in clean water then carefully unwrap, wearing clean gloves. Allow pieces to hang to dry then wash and dry to set the dye.