Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
Struggle Meals - "An Eggplant Extravaganza"
- 1 graffiti eggplant
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons basil leaves, torn
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 baguette
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 4 slices. Sprinkle with salt.
- Place a plate on top of the eggplant and put something heavy on top of like a can of beans. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Wipe salt and excess water off the eggplant slices.
- In a small sauce-pot, add olive oil and garlic and let cook for 1 minute.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hand as you add them to the pot. Stir in the basil and simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Set up a dredging station: Place the flour in one shallow bowl, the eggs in another, and add the breadcrumbs to a third.
- Dip each eggplant in flour, then egg and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Add the breaded eggplant and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until you have a nice rich golden crust. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate when done.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the baguette into 4 slices horizontally, and cut each in half lengthwise.
- Spread some marinara on the bottom half of each piece.
- Place breaded eggplant on top, add some grated Parmesan cheese, more sauce, then shredded mozzarella cheese and then more grated Parmesan.
- Place the sandwiches open face in the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with basil leaves, top with second piece of bread and serve.