Norma Eggplant Pasta
Struggle Meals - "An Eggplant Extravaganza"
- 2 globe eggplants
- 1 pound campanelle pasta
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups pasta water
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons torn basil leaves
- Preheat the broiler. Cut eggplant in half and place face down on baking sheet. Broil for 20 minutes until charred. Allow to cool slightly and scoop out the flesh. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 2 to 3 minutes less than the box instructs.
- Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan with high sides. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook an additional minute.
- Using a ladle, add about 1 1/2 cups of pasta water to the pan, stir and bring to a simmer. Allow mixture to simmer for a few minutes while the pasta finishes cooking.
- Stir the eggplant into tomato paste mixture, add more pasta water if needed and stir until well combined. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add pasta directly from the pot and coat with sauce. Add the cheese and fold in the basil.