- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 1 packet sugar (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 pound (3 cups) shredded braised beef
- 3 ears of corn, roasted and kernels removed
- 2 cups precooked cornmeal (P.A.N.)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups warm milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cojita cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- In a large saucepan, add onions, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, tomatillo, sugar, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until tomatillos are soft, about 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium and whisk in cornmeal.
- When sauce has thickened, turn heat to low, add beef and stir.
- Stir in corn and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, cheese, flour, salt, pepper and green onions. Add the warm milk and butter. Stir until a thick batter forms.
- Let rest about 10 to 15 minutes to form into a soft dough.
- Form into 2-inch balls.
- Slightly wet your hand, shaking off any excess water. Flatten ball to 1/2 inch by gently tossing it back and forth from one hand to another.
- In a cast-iron pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Pan fry the discs until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Place an arepa on a plate and top with shredded beef mixture, cojita cheese and cilantro.