- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 packets (4 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 1 packet chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season beef all over with salt and pepper. In a cast-iron pan, add oil. When hot sear all sides of beef. Remove beef.
- Add onions to pot and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, chili flakes and pepper; stir for 30 seconds.
- Add stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Return beef to pot. Cover with foil.
- Roast in oven, turning once after 1 hour, until beef is very tender, 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove beef from pot. When cool enough to handle, place on a cutting board and shred with forks.