- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 5 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup barley
- Melt butter in a sauce pot over medium meat.
- In a separate sauce pot, heat the chicken stock.
- To the pot with the butter, add onion, mushrooms, and garlic, and cook until soft. Stir in sage and barley.
- Add one cup of stock and simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue adding stock 1/4 cup at a time, allowing each amount of liquid to absorb before adding more.
- Continue until all the stock is used and barley is done cooking, about 35 minutes.