- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 butter pats
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons masa
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (4-ounce) can minced green chilis, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups masa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and butter and allow to melt.
- Add onions, garlic and pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute until soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in masa and stir to combine.
- Add cumin and chili powder and stir.
- Add corn, green chilis, tomatoes and beans.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook while stirring for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and fold in the cheese.
- In a large bowl, add masa, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk in the stock and melted butter, then fold in the cheese.
- Spread the masa topping over the bean mixture, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes.