- Vegetable scraps
- 10 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pound brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- First make the stock. Add all of the vegetable scraps to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and then the onion, celery and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, broth and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 40 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow to cool slightly and puree 3 cups of the soup with an immersion blender and then stir back into the pot. Season as needed.