- 2 butter pats
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 head of celery, chopped and reserve leaves
- 1 x 2 lb celery root, peeled and diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the butter and oil and then the garlic, onions, celery and celery root. Season with salt and pepper and cook while stirring for 15 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and thyme, bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 25 more minutes, until vegetables are very tender. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and puree with an immersion blender.
- Put the soup back over low heat and stir in the cream. Serve garnished with celery leaves.