- 2 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon spice blend
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 4 slices pita bread, cut into triangles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a box grater grate the onion, and then squeeze it to remove excess liquid. In a medium bowl mix together the onion, spice blend, garlic, lamb, beef, parsley and salt.
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls and form in a sausage shape around each skewer; the meat should cover all but about 1/2 inch on either end of the skewer. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and cook the meat skewers for 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- In a medium bowl, add the sliced onion and drizzle with red wine vinegar.
- Add tomato, cucumber and chives.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Toast the pita.
- Serve each kofta kabob with a pita and some of the tomato cucumber salad.