- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chives
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet tray with a wire rack and set aside.
- Add breadcrumbs, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and olive oil to a quarter sheet tray and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to toast for 4 minutes, stirring halfway through, until just golden. Remove from the oven and cool. Turn oven temperature up to 425 degrees F.
- Season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper. Whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce in a large bowl. Add the drumsticks to the bowl and toss with tongs until well coated. Allow to marinate for 15 minutes or up to several hours in the fridge.
- Transfer breadcrumb mix to a lunch-size paper bag. Working with 1-2 drumsticks at a time, remove from the buttermilk mixture, letting the excess moisture drip off, and add to the bag. Fold the bag shut and shake to coat the drumsticks. Maybe dance while shaking. Lay drumsticks on the wire rack, and repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- Bake the chicken on the wire rack for 50 minutes, until golden and a thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken cooks, add the peeled and cut potatoes to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Add flavor by salting the boiled water. Cook until very tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove potatoes from the water with a slotted spoon and add the butter and milk. Mash until fluffy and creamy. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chives.