- 1 green cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- 1 carrots, cut into thick pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 corned beef (about 3 pounds), with pickling spices
- 1 bottle dark ale
- 2 bay leaves
- Mustard packets for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the cabbage, carrot, onion, thyme and smashed garlic in a baking dish or large cast iron skillet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and add the vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Add the corned beef, pickling spices, bay leaf, thyme, and beer to a large pot. Add cold water leaving just the top part of the corned beef exposed. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn heat down, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- When the beef is done use tongs to remove it from the liquid. Allow to cool slightly and then slice thinly. Serve with the braised cabbage and vegetables.