- 2 butter pats
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 bunches of dino kale, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 2 large sweet potatoes, sliced into very thin rounds
- 16 oz swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and kale, and cook until kale begins to wilt. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Add the milk, thyme, and nutmeg and bring to a gentle simmer, cooking until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Place one layer of potatoes on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of kale mixture over the top and sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat the layers with remaining ingredients, finishing with cheese. Toss the bread crumbs in remaining olive oil then sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes.