- 12 collard green leaves, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper flake packet
- 3/4 pounds mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup minced parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the thick bottom part of the stem out of the collard green leaf. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and several ice cubes. Blanch the collard leaves in the boiling water for 30 seconds and then transfer to the ice water for a 1 minute to stop the cooking. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and onion and cook for 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are browned.
- Stir in the rice, parsley, mozzarella and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cool slightly and then spoon about 1/3 cup of filling into each collard green leaf on the side that is not cut. Fold in the two sides and continue to roll up.
- Ladle a 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish and place the rolls in the dish seam side down. Top with remaining sauce and parmesan cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes.